In this blog, we’re going to outline the benefits of outdoor play and highlight our favourite wooden play equipment for nurseries.
Attending nursery is an exciting time for every child. For the first time, they have the opportunity to escape their comfort zone and interact with other children in an educational setting. Nurseries provide a safe place for children to learn, play and grow. Most nurseries greatly encourage outdoor play, which is essential for the development of a child.
The Benefits Of Outdoor Play For Nursery Children
Unfortunately, a recent UK study commissioned by the National Trust found that children spend half the time playing outside than their parents.
Outdoor play is an important part of childhood and can improve a child’s physical and mental health as well as encouraging the development of many key skills. Here are just some of the benefits of outdoor play for nursery children:
- Improves physical development, coordination and spatial awareness – When nursery children are outside, they spend a lot of time running, jumping and climbing. Outdoor play equipment encourages children to get physical and helps them develop their coordination and spatial awareness.
- Provides an opportunity for social development – Outdoor play encourages children to socialise, build new friendships and learn new skills, such as negotiating.
- Improves communication skills – Nursery children are very impressionable and are always learning from the people around them. When playing outdoors, the children will develop their communication skills through each other.
- Encourages imaginative play – Nothing nurtures the imagination quite like the great outdoors. Nursery children tend to be very creative and imaginative when playing outdoors.
- Teaches children about nature – Encouraging outdoor play from a young age enables children to learn about natural elements. Understanding the various seasons, weather patterns and even the animals that can be found outside will help children develop an appreciation for the outdoors.
- Encourages sensory development – Young children learn predominately through sensory and physical play. Outdoor play equipment provides the perfect combination of sensory and physical play.
- Positively impacts health – Fresh air is great for the immune system and helps fight off bugs and infections, which are often rife in nurseries and schools. Plus, being active is essential for a child’s physical health. Studies also show that outdoor play can positively impact mental wellbeing.
Why Choose Wooden Play Equipment For Nurseries?
In comparison to other playground equipment materials, such as metal and plastic, wooden playground equipment for nurseries is by far the best. Here at Discovering Days, our wooden playground equipment for nurseries is made from sustainable timber, which we get from well-managed environmentally certified sources.
As well as being environmentally friendly, wooden playground equipment is also incredibly safe. It is strong enough to support adults, is sanded to avoid splinters and every nook and cranny is measured to prevent little fingers from getting stuck.
Plus, our wooden play equipment for nurseries is tantalised, ensuring its non-toxic and perfectly safe, unlike plastic, heavily varnished wood or painted metal.
Wooden play equipment is a great investment as it is high-quality, durable and long-lasting. Nursery children will be able to enjoy the wooden play equipment for years to come.
The Best Wooden Play Equipment For Nurseries
If you’re looking for wooden play equipment for nurseries, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s some of our favourite equipment for nursery children:
We have a range of free-standing Mud Kitchens, which are built to last and look super stylish. Kids will love to get their hands dirty and use their imagination. Mud kitchens are great for sensory play and encourage children to play creatively together.
Sliding Lid Sandpit
Kids love to play in sand! Sand encourages a child to explore their senses and use their imagination to build and create. They are a staple in every nursery and the Sliding Sand Pit makes a great addition to a playground.
Mark Making Trio Board
The amazing Mark Making Trio Board encourages children to draw, paint, colour and chalk their creations. Plus, numerous children can enjoy the Mark Making Trio Board at the same time and create masterpieces together.
Wooden Train Bench
Our Wooden Train Benches encourage children to play together and use their imagination. They made a striking centre in any playground. Depending on the size of your nursery playground, we have a two piece, three piece and four piece wooden train bench available.
When it comes to wooden play equipment for nurseries, you can’t go wrong with an activity table. Fill it with water, mud, coloured rice, kinetic sand or pebbles and let the children explore and play.
Get In Touch
If you are looking for wooden play equipment for nurseries, we can help. At Discovering Days, we design, and manufacture quality outdoor playground equipment.
Our wide range of wooden playground equipment is made with love and care to ensure the utmost safety and durability. We also pride ourselves on meeting all playground equipment safety standards.
You can contact us here for more information or you can call us on 01282 416 755 to discuss any of our products.
Our staff are all fully trained in the design and manufacture of wooden play equipment for children and are experts in understanding what works best in the space you have. We have worked with a range of schools in the past and understand the challenges that come with creating playground equipment for children of all abilities.